July 21, 2009

A Painting That Worth A Thousand Words.

I remember, it was 10 years ago. I was painting a picture under a shady tree somewhere in a park, in London. There was this girl. She stared at me while I'm painting this picture. She's young, maybe she was 12years old, back then.

As she is staring at me, I asked her, "What's the matter, little girl?". The girl blushed, and ask me, "Would you teach me how to draw? You are really good, mister..".

"Please teach me.. I want to draw something special.." she begged. She pulled something out from her bag pack, and she showed me a drawing that she did, saying that the picture was the only best thing she ever drawn. A picture of a father, a mother, and a daughter holding hands together. From there we can assume that its a picture of a happy family.

She was begging and all that, so I tried to comfort her. I said, "That is already good!" But the girl, being sad, and she said "I want to be as good as you, I want to do much better then this.."

So I told her this, "You should just practise everyday. I'm sure that you'll be much better in a few years.". The girl, shocked but something that I said, "Few years?!".

I said yes, thats what it took me to do this. So I asked her why is it that she is so shocked? She said, "It'll be too late then..". She turned gloomy. I asked her "What do you mean by that? What will happen?"

"This.."
The girl teared the picture in half. She then shed some tears. "Mommy and Daddy have been hurting each other all these since..". "After they separate, I would never draw a picture of my family, no matter how good I am..". "That's why..". "Please teach me..". She said in pauses, she was crying.

I have to say the truth, "I can't, little girl. I'm a traveller. I'll be gone by tomorrow.. And besides,"
"Would it not be better to have your family, rather than just having a drawing of your family?" I asked.

"I don't want to feel so helpless.." the girl said. I tried to comfort her, i gave her a hug and whispers into her ears, "Don't despair..".

I told her, "Once, someone told me that art is about content, not skills. And a picture is worth thousand words.". Still trying to comfort her, I asked, "I have an idea, why don't we make an art trade?". "Your drawing, for a thousand words." I continued.

The girl replied, "But the picture is ripped, what can I do with a thousand words?". I told her, "Maybe, just maybe.. One thousand words will be enough to convince your parents.". It's getting dark, and I have to go. Before I left, I told her, "Meet me here tomorrow morning, you'll see..". And I left.

The next morning, I went back to the park. Suprisingly, she was there waiting for me. As I arrived, she was really excited that I came. I smiled. How cute she was. I gave her an envelope.

I said, "As I promised, a thousand words.". "But don't open it, give it to your parents." I said to her.

So she went back and she gave the envelope to her parents. Both her parents opened the envelope, it was the picture that the little girl has drawn, only that I taped the picture, because it was ripped by her. I am actually trying to send her parents a message, that the little girl, their daughter really doesn't want them to separate.

Few years after that, I went back to the park. I saw the same little girl, only that she has grown. She saw me and quickly she hugged me. "Mister!". She said. I can tell how much she missed me.

The girl wished me thank you, for that I have helped her. So I asked, "So your family is still together? I'm glad about that..".

The happy look on the girl's face turned gloomy. "They divorced a week after that.." she said. "Ohh my.. I am sorry.. I failed to make a difference.." I replied. I have to admit, I was kind of sad that I couldn't make a difference, thus making this little girl happy.

The little girl grabs my hand and said, "That's not true! You've made a big difference in me!". Sure I was glad to hear that, eventhough it was a bit shocking. "I've decided to become an artist, just like ~you. I will make a difference in the world for better. One thousand words, at a time."

"HERE, one thousand words of my grattitude.". She gave me a book. I opened the book and said, "One thousand words, indeed.". I smiled.

The whole pages in the book was written the words,

THANK YOU!




~iqeat.